Shakshouka- An Eggy Affair


Lately, and very over due-ly, I am really putting in an effort to eat a fuller, healthier breakfast. 

My definition (putting on my glasses and trying to look quite wise) of a healthy breakfast includes a good serving of protein, healthier carbs, some veggies and a bit of fruit . It not only gives me a good boost of energy but it also keeps me going till its time for my lunch. Oh and I've heard it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day which is certainly true. I can't promise that I will continue on this road forever, but hey, gotta give it a try! 

The other day I made these delectable Mexican egg-sy dish called Huevos Rancheros. Its so gorgeous and delicious!! I'd recommend you try it as well. Today though, I made this very popular egg dish called Shakshouka. This is what wiki had to say about it: "Shakshouka is a staple of Tunisian, Libyan, Algerian, Moroccan and Egyptian cuisines, traditionally served in a cast iron pan or a tajine with bread to mop up the sauce. It is also one the very popular dishes in Israel- right up with hummus and falafel!" I mean, if something competes with hummus and Falafel, its gotta be good! 

And this really is! Eggs poached in a sauce of chili peppers, onions and tomatoes and a couple of spices- it was just so good. The best part, I made this for me, mom and my dad and it was mopped up literally till the last bit! So darn good! This is surely going to be a staple in my kitchen now on. Healthy brekkies, here I come! The best part is, you can totally sneak in veggies of your choice even beans, sausages, meats or even cheese, just make it your own. 




Serves: 2-3

Time taken: 30 min

Complexity: **


You'll need

3 eggs
1 can of crushed tomatoes/ 4 whole tomatoes
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, sliced
Drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
salt to taste
freshly cracked black pepper
pinch of red chili flakes (optional) 
Pinch of love
Coriander/ parsley to garnish

Method

I like to crush the tomatoes at home. It just helps me sleep better at night. So what I do is, quarter 4 tomatoes and pop them in the food processor like this. 




Blitzing them for a few times gives me a coarse tomato puree like this. Almost like the crushed tomatoes that we get in the can without any preservatives or hidden salt/ sugar. I won't judge you if you use the canned ones. Set this aside for the meantime. 



In a pan on medium heat, add the drizzle of olive oil




Add in the sliced onion to the oil



Next in goes the sliced bell pepper. Saute these for atleast 5-7 minutes till they turn slightly golden in colour. 



Add in a pinch of salt to fasten the procedure. 



This is about 3 minutes on the medium low heat. 



After 7-8 minutes, the onions start to change colour. See how they are now slightly golden. 



Now add in the garlic. If we had added garlic in the beginning, it would have burnt and burnt garlic is no good. 



Saute for about 30 seconds. Now get those crushed tomatoes and add to the skillet. I like to add in about 2-3 tbsp of water to just help everything combine better. 



Add in the cumin



Salt



Cayenne powder



Smoked paprika



If you're adding the red chili flakes, add them now. I like a little heat. Mix it all. you can add any hot sauce at this time if you want to. 



Let this simmer for 5-7 minutes till the oil starts to show on the sides of the tomato sauce. 



Now we'll add in the eggs. Make small little round spaces for the eggs. 



Crack your eggs and let them settle in those holes. Oopsie!! I cracked my yolk.... Happens to the best of us, doesn't it?! 



Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the eggs. Cover the skillet and let cook for 2-3 minutes till the egg whites look set. Garnish with coriander and ta da!! Your Shakshouka is ready to devour



That combination of smoky earthy spices makes the sauce taste divine! 



That egg is soooo flavourful and beautiful.



The red, yellow, green and white made my heart skip a beat! What a beauty! Indulge!!




















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts