Heavenly Devil's Food Cake

Lets do this today!

Lets all indulge in a guilty pleasure. A pleasure so rich, so sinful, so chocolate-y, so mmmmmmm..... The only sin is- not eating it. 

So while browsing through my instagram, I came across this photo of a beautiful chocolate cake. There are 100000s of them out that, and I kid you not, all of them look exquisite! But this one picture- one shot of a cake, had me hooked! I kept browsing through, ignoring my primal urge to jump in the kitchen and go make it that very instant. But like the saying goes, I can resist everything but temptation; I came back looking for it two days later. Unfortunately I couldn't find that perfection of a photograph. 

With that little voice beckoning me, urging me, tempting me to indulge in this sinful treat, I headed to my kitchen a week later, resolved to recreate the magic of that picture I had seen. 

So here it is! The magical Devil's Food Cake. Indulging in one guilty slice at a time! *wink wink*



Serves: 6 big slices

Complexity: ***

Time taken: 2 hours including cooling time

You'll need

1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup of butter
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 cup water
100 gms semi sweet dark chocolate, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of love

For Frosting

200 gms of dark semi sweet chocolate
100 gms of cream

Method

You'll need two lined and greased baking tins of the same dimensions.Square or round, its all the same.

We need to let our frosting cool for a couple of hours. So we'll begin with that. Take your dark semi sweet chocolate and cream in a bowl and give it 40-50 seconds in your microwave. Stir it with a spatula till the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream. Place the bowl in the fridge to cool and set a little.



In a large bowl (I used a food processor), take your sugar and butter and cream it till its fluffy.



Add in the eggs- 3 of them! 



In goes the vanilla. Give it a good whizz so the batter becomes light and airy.



Now I completely forgot adding the chocolate till the end. Don't be like me. Thanks. The cake Gods will be very happy if you add the chocolate at this stage. So in goes the melted chocolate and the cocoa powder. I've seen that if I use only cocoa powder, the taste doesn't get very rich. This picture is before adding the cocoa powder and after adding the flour and baking powder. 



Add the instant coffee granules and water. Or you can also dissolve the granules in water and add them together. You're the creator of your batter.



Add in the dry ingredients now. So in goes the flour and the baking powder. Give it all a whizz till everything's combined. 


The batter is quite runny as you will see. The consistency of condensed milk. 



Scrap the sides of the mixture so that everything's mixed properly. Divide the runny batter in the two lined and greased cake tins. 



In your pre-heated oven, place the cake tins for 30-35 mins till your cake testers come out clean. Have your oven at approximately 180-190C.



Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes before taking them out of the tins and allowing them to cool on a wire rack for atleast 30 mins. I like the invert my cakes while letting them cool. 



Look how moist they are!! 



Remove the frosting from the fridge 5 mins prior to spreading otherwise it will be tooo thick to spread. Take one cake, top side up, and spoon 1/4th of that rich chocolatey ganache over it. Spread it as evenly as possible. Also since I got a little too busy licking away the yummy chocolate that I forgot to take pics of this step. Next place the other cake, top side down, on the frosted cake. Press gently. Spread the rest of the frosting on the cake- the top and the sides. 



Your cake's done! Check out the luscious ganache



The devil's food cake. Rich, moist, sinful and oh- so -chocolate-y!! Cut up a slice (pic has been been taken by my mobile cam in natural lighting at 7 in the evening, forgive me for the quality) 



A slice of this and I think I'll have to give up my sweet cravings for a week! Or maybe not! 



Share your cake with love. 



Indulge! 


Here's the aftermath! Going, going n gone!! 






Comments

  1. Which food processor is this? I have the similiar blades shown here in my gadget, can I use it? My Mixer has these blades. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, I've been using these blades for almost all my recipes, not much of a difference. If you have the dough kneading attachment, use that instead of these blades to incorporate lesser air in your batter.

      Delete
  2. This cake is really a work of art. So beautiful! I love the chocolate cover.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts